Making authentic kimchi is easy with our signature Five Star Kimchi Spice Blend!
- 2 lbs (900 g) Napa cabbage, cut into small cubes
- 2–3 Tablespoons (30–45 ml) Celtic Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) ChouAmi's Five Star Kimchi Spice Blend*
- (You can add in more based on your own taste preference)
- 6 oz. (170 g) daikon, peeled and cut into small dices
- 1 stalk scallion, cut into slivers
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) grated ginger, optional
- 1–2 teaspoons (5–10 ml) fish sauce, optional**
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced***
- Large (non-plastic) mixing bowl
- Le Parfait Familia Wiss Terrine glass jar 1L (32 oz)
- ChouAmi device
- Sauerkraut pounder, wooden spoon, or rolling pin
1. Place the cut cabbage and salt in a large non-plastic bowl and massage salt into the cabbage with clean hands for about 2–3 minutes.
2. Add in measured Five Star Kimchi Spice Blend and toss well with a pair of tongs, or if using your hands, please wear gloves to prevent the chili (gochugaru) from staining or irritating your skin.
3. Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
4. Transfer the mixture, a third at a time, and any liquid in the bowl to the Le Parfait glass jar. Using a sauerkraut pounder, wooden spoon, or a rolling pin, gently but firmly pack the cabbage into the jar after each addition.
5. Assemble ChouAmi onto the jar according to directions. Allow to ferment between 7–14 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. Check every few days that there is water in the moat, and top off as needed.
6. When ready, remove ChouAmi and wipe the rim of the jar with a clean cloth. Make sure the Le Parfait sealing cap and screw lid are both clean with no brine, salt, or acid, and place on the jar. Store in the refrigerator.
*If you are not using our Five Star Kimchi Spice Blend, you can just use gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) only. It is easily available in Korean or Asian grocery stores.
**If not using fish sauce, taste the cabbage mixture after salting and add in more salt as needed based on your taste preference.
***Our Five Star Kimchi Spice Blend contains garlic granules, but if you love garlic, then adding in fresh cloves will make it even lovelier.
Note: During the first 24–48 hours, the cabbage will be releasing more liquid which may cause your jar to over flow. If that happens, simply remove ChouAmi and pour off excess brine. Give the parts a quick rinse and re-set ChouAmi onto the jar.